Subject: Re: Re[2]: 1995 Toyota Celica model needed
From: [email-masked]
To: Todd Aubin <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 13:38:55 -0400

wow, is that how it works? I'm new at this, but I thought the rights
go to whomever made the model you are digitizing.
Example: If I snap a picture of the lone Cyprus Tree, I am not allowed
to sell the picture.

______________________________ Reply Separator 

Wrong; You are not allowed to copy an object in such a way that it would 
"compete" with the original model. However if you take a picture of say one a 
matchbox car that picture would not "compete" with the original model. a 
picture of a painting would be an entirly different thing. Notice: a lot of 
copyright infringement suits are civil and therefore there are no cut and dry 
ways about how the law is interpreted. It really depends on the mood of a 
jury.
As far as I know there is no jurisprudence for digitizing into 3D a commodity 
(doorknob, paperclip etc...) I don't think a matchbox model scanned in would 
fall under the any different restrictions. Let's face it a 3D model does not 
really cmpete with the actual object. (I can see a real discussion heating up 
here: what about digitized sculptures etc...?)

Hi-Lo

--
[email-masked] sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]